Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Life Changing Brownie a la mode! Pappa's Seafood






And the taste buds say....

OMG, as if the seafood here isn't amazing enough, this brownie-a-la-mode is life changing!!  This Turtle Fudge Brownie is two layers of amaziness!  Two layered brownie with a thick layer of caramel in between them that makes it to die for!  The brownies are gooey, but cakey at the same time.... a good balance of both.  Pecans are baked into the brownie and then it's topped with chocolate sauce, powder sugar, and of course ice cream!  Seriously, you bite into this and you think, "This is the perfect brownie a la mode!"  It's meant to be shared with 6 - 8 people, but sadly enough, the first time I had this mouth full of yumminess, I ate all but two bites.  You just can't stop eating it.  The ice cream melts just at the right speed.  So share it if you'd like, but if you eat it all by yourself, I won't judge!  Good job Pappa's!

Rating: 5 full scoops of ice cream!

The Story Behind the Brownie a la mode

The first time I ate this brownie was when I was traveling for work with my co-worker Paul.  It had been a long trip, long hours training, and we were beat.  So we decided to go to a little nicer place then my usual Taco Cabana or Chick-fil-a.  People at the refinery had been telling us about this place (and now that I work at this location, I know the people at the refinery go there all the time!) so we decided to check it out.  It was yummy.  The seafood was so good.  Of course I checked the menu for a brownie a la mode and it was there... so we of course had to order it... in the name of the blog of course... (2 years later I'm writing about it.... :) ).  It was SO good!  as mentioned in my review above.  Paul literally had two bites and I ate the rest.  It was amazing and yet disgusting at the same time!  :)  My taste buds kept saying.... MORE MORE MORE... while my stomach was asking, "Where the heck is this suppose to go?"  I was pretty sick that night... but so worth it!  Maybe you really should share it with someone.  

My latest adventure with this brownie is why I titled this entry Life Changing Brownie.  So it had been several years since Paul and I had traveled to Houston for that trip, and little did I know that several years later I would be at the same restaurant at a table for a lunch on a job interview with my potential future team.  So the story goes..... 

For the past couple years I always thought it would be great to work out at one of the refineries within my company.  I clearly spent a lot of time traveling to them, but still never felt connected or really understood the business because I would pack up and leave at the end of the week and head to another place.  So I always wanted to get that experience so I could really know the business.  The past couple years a couple opportunities presented themselves, but it never felt right.  I was still working on my Masters and it just wasn't the time.  Then I graduated in April.... Go ZAGS!... and felt there was a need for a change.  I started dating my ex-boyfriend again and was excited for our future together.  He was living in Beaumont, Tx and was much closer to me then Dumas, Tx.  In July, a position opened up at our Houston Refinery as an HR Generalist.  I was so excited about the opportunity professionally and personally!  I was looking for an opportunity to get out to a refinery and I loved the people at the Houston Refinery and felt it was a perfect fit.  The fact that I would only be an hour away from Bill was even better!  So feeling completely scared and excited at the same time, I applied for the position.  and then, waited and waited and waited and waited and waited... and... then finally in September I got the call asking if I would come in for an interview.  I was SO NERVOUS!  Even though I knew the people I was interviewing with, I still was unsure if it was going to work out.  I was scared if it didn't work out... and I was scared if it did work out!  I would be selling my house, leaving behind my friends, family and life of 27 years, and starting a whole new career, and marrying this man and starting that whole new life... all just nerve recking!  But I went in, did my best, and hoped for the best.  

At lunch I went with just my teammates for lunch.  We went to Pappa's Seafood.  And I probably felt a little too comfortable and if I was on any other interview I wouldn't have done this, but I saw they had a brownie a la mode and of course suggested we get it... in the name of the blog of course... So we did.  and we shared it... HEAVEN!  I'd forgotten how much I loved this brownie and clearly forgotten that I was on a job interview because I took the picture of the brownie, told the story about my blog, told some stories that are on my blog...yeah, how old am I? 12?  I completely forgot about all the interviewing rules!  Looking back now, I wonder how I really got this job!  :)  Heavenly Father really needs me here.  

The rest of the day passed and I drove home excited and exhausted.  A few weeks later I received the call with an offer to join the Houston Refinery HR team.  I was so excited!  ...and nervous... and excited!  

This brownie was truly a part of a life changing event in my life.  In a months time I put my house up on the market, found a place to live in Houston (three trips), wrapped up my old job, did training for my new job, sold my house, and moved to Houston.... literally in 4 weeks!  It was a crazy world wind.  I would not have been able to do it with out my amazing Mom, sister and dear friends.  

I have now been in Houston for 3.5 months and am loving my adventure here.  I have met amazing people.  I LOVE love LOVE my job.  I love the people I get to work with.  I love wearing nomex to work everyday.  I love the challenge it is and how much I am learning.  I have learned SO much.  I am grateful for the patience my co-workers and others have shown me.  and also the kindness people have shown me.  I look forward to making a difference in my new role and learning all I can.  I am excited about the adventures that are yet to come.  I know that the Lord has a purpose for me in Houston, Texas and I am excited to see His hand in my life here.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow... way to slip in a teaser line! As wonderful as the brownie was, and believe me, yes, I want to try it, I want the details on that other part. :)

    As for the interview, apparently you let the real Kati show through, and then who could NOT want to hire you?

    ReplyDelete