Monday, July 16, 2012

Granma Uminski's Casa - A Tasty Memorial



And the Taste Buds Say....
DELICIOUS!  This brownie was made especially for Memorial Day by my mom, niece and nephew.  It was made with love using only the best... the Ghirardelli chocolate brownie mix!  Topped with homemade whipped cream and of course, only the best ice cream ever... Bluebell.  Drizzled with a chocolate swirl of goodness and sprinkled with blue sprinkles to show pride in the red, white and blue.  The brownie was delicious.  I loved it.  It was nice and gooey, and yet had a nice crusty top.  It was served warm, which allowed the ice cream to melt just a tad!  


I love the presentation of the brownie.... I love the red, white and blue.  They took great care in picking out the perfect design... and I think it is lovely!  


I give it 5 ice cream scoops!!! 


The Story Behind the Brownie a la mode....
This brownie also took place over a year ago.  It was memorial day and I went to my parents house to visit since my sister and her family were visiting as well.  When I walked into the kitchen there were some whisperings happening in the corner amongst my mom and the two kiddos.  Finally after much discussion, they turned around and presented me with my brownie a la mode!  I felt so honored!  And I LOVED IT!  It was really yummy!  It was a fun way to celebrate Memorial Day.  


I have two ways to go on this brownie memory... one is to highlight my mom... which can be a whole blog in and of itself... along with my two adorable niece and nephew that helped... That's one way I will go, but first I want to highlight on the fact that this was a day to celebrate those men and women who have and do serve in the US Military.


I grew up a military angle (not a brat).  We moved almost every two years until I was in the 7th grade.  As a kid I hated moving.  I would cry every time, but then when I got to the new place, I would cry when I had to leave that place.  Every place we lived taught me something and made me who I am today.  I am grateful for the experience of growing up in the military.  It taught me to love my country.  It taught me be proud to be an American and yet to honor and respect other countries and their culture.  I got to see parts of the world people pay big bucks to travel to and visit.  I am grateful for the men and women that serve this county and allow us to have the freedoms we have.  That protect those that have their freedoms challenged or desire for freedom.  On this day, may we remember and give thanks to those that serve this great country.


Now to my mom.  There seriously is not enough room to write all about my mom.  My mom is an amazing lady.  She moved seven kids and a husband several times through out our military life.  I moved just myself a few years ago and vowed to never move again!  She did it with all of us.  My mom raised 7 very distinct, very individual kids and did a stellar job at it... I must say.  She taught us to love to read.  When we were kids in the summer time, we had little stations around the room that we had to go to before we could go play.  Each one had different activities that focused on reading or writing.  She always made sure we were actively engaged in good things.... dance, swimming, gymnastics, soccer, t-ball.  Whatever we wanted to do.  She always supported us in our desires.  I remember my Sophomore year, I didn't make the dance team for my Junior year.  I was devastated.  Just crushed.  So she took me shopping... and copping method I continue to use to this day.... and in that she also suggested I try something else, like class office.  So the next day, I went to the school and got the form to run for Class President.  With in a lunch period I had enough signatures to run.  My mom jumped right in as the best Campaign President!  She has never stepped down from that role... always cheering me on.  I love my mom!  ...and I loved her brownie!  


Samantha and Nathan... two of my nieces and nephews.  My favorite Samantha story is one night I had three of my nieces and nephews spend the night... Slumber Party at Aunt Kati's house.  Tradition for the sleep overs is to go get rootbeer floats.  So we did.  We get to my house and we are locked out.  I had a rental and left my house key with my car.  So I tell the kids to stay at the front door and wait while I go check the other windows.  Within minutes I look over and there are three little kids coming around the corner dragging their overnight bags and carrying their rootbeer floats.  They were so scared.  So I say, "Let's go to the backyard and look for fireflies and eat our rootbeer floats."  So we do.  When we get there, I say, "Let's say a prayer that we will be able to get in."  So we do.  Then we get camping chairs out and get all settled and then Samantha sits back in her chair and says, "Now we just have to wait for Heavenly Father to come and open the door."  as she took a huge bite of her ice cream.  It was cute.  The faith of a little girl.  Sure enough a moment later, I thought, "I forgot to check that one window."  And sure enough, my roommate had left it unlocked.  We were able to get in.  


Nathan... now Nathan is so kind.  That kid amazes me with his pure and gentle heart... he bugs is siblings, don't get me wrong.  But this kid, when he turned 8 and was going to be baptized he decided that the theme for his birthday party would be temples.  I was just so impressed by that.  He also made a goal to say up $92 by the end of the year for his mission.  What 8 year old does that?  He has since learned the value of money and saving. These two kiddos are so precious to me.  I am thankful for their example of purity and dedication.  

2 comments:

  1. You do have an amazing family, and, I must say, amazing friends. :) I am enjoying your catch up posts. I just knew that you had to be eating more (and even better) brownies than you had been telling us about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you in advance,You have share good tips , These tips will help me a lot .Want to know more about it.
    isc888

    ReplyDelete